Who are we?
The Portuguese Network of Young People for Gender Equality is an NGO and an informal platform of youth associations, women’s rights NGOs, student unions, political parties’ youth groups, organisations which develop activities targeted at young people and non-organised youth.
The Portuguese Network of Young People for Gender Equality was created in 2000 in order to mobilise young women for equality, in the context of a European project coordinated by the European Women’s Lobby (EWL) and supported by the Portuguese, Greek and Swedish EWL co-ordinations, the Medium-Term Community Action Program on Equal Opportunities for Women and Men and the former Portuguese Ministry for Equality.
Our aims are to:
– Raise awareness among young people on equal opportunities between women and men in the national, European and international contexts;
– Support the integration of the particular needs and concerns of young women in the political agenda at the national, European and international levels;
– Contribute to the inclusion of equal opportunities between women and men in formal and non-formal education and training;
– Support the inclusion of gender and equal opportunities issues in the work of youth associations;
– Increase the participation of young women in decision-making.
Our main activities are:
– Coordinating national and European projects aimed at mainstreaming gender within youth associations;
– Organising workshops and awareness-raising events in schools, student unions and youth associations;
– Participating in seminars and national/international youth meetings;
– Organising of exchanges and other activities for young people;
– Disseminating information on equal opportunities and gender at national, European and international level (we edited and distributed the “Young Women’s Guide to Equality between Women and Men in Europe”, in partnership with the the European Women’s Lobby, the Portuguese, Greek and Swedish EWL co-ordinations, the Medium-Term Community Action Program on Equal Opportunities for Women and Men and the (extinct) Portuguese Ministry for Equality;
– Lobbying on issues related to youth and equal opportunities, aimed at several political actors and institutions.
The Portuguese Network of Young People for Gender Equality is:
– a member of the Consultative Council of the Portuguese Commission for Equality and Citizenship;
– a founding member of the Portuguese Platform for Women’s Rights;
– responsible for the Portuguese coordination of the European Women’s Lobby Young Women’s Network;
– member of the Young Women Network of the Association des Femmes de l’Europe Meridionale.
– Member of the Euro-Mediterranean Youth Platform